I am a cake obsessive, based in West Sussex, UK.

I started off making cakes for family and friends before giving up a proper career in favour of playing with sugar full time. Having worked for two bakeries making their wedding and celebration cakes, I am now looking toward world domination with breaks for coffee and chat.

If you are interested in seeing future projects, enter your email address in the box on the right for updates.

To see my website go to: www.kasserina.com. You can email me on info@kasserina.com.

I also sell some sugarcraft items on Etsy. Please go to https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/KasserinaHome?ref=hdr_shop_menu

Thanks for looking!

Monday, July 13, 2015

Blush and mint wedding - July 2015

A special cake this week, a gift for lovely friends.



The colour theme was blush pink and mint with vintage gold. 

I made the flowers a couple of weeks ago, pink open peonies with gold stamens and star blossoms. 






I made them a bit more robust that I might usually as I knew I would have to transport them quite a long way and on a ferry to the Isle of Wight.  I really didn't want them to break befor I could get then on the cake.

The tiers were all sponge cakes,from top to bottom: Victoria sponge, chocolate fudge, lemon and almond drizzle and red velvet.

It was a record breaking heat wave, which always makes things fun when you're playing with buttercream, but having to take the cake on a ferry where you're not allowed to keep the engine running and the aircon going was an added bonus.  

Still, (as I am inclined to do whenever I can) I used a white and dark chocolate ganache crumb coat or marzipan to give a crisp finish and extra support under the fondant.



The upside down crumb-coat gives a defined edge to the cake and ensures that you keep the cakes as perfect circles and don't end up with egg shaped tiers instead!

The lemon tier I covered with marzipan and gave it a rounded edge for contrast.

I airbrushed mint edible colour through lace fabric for the 8", chocolate tier and then a pale antique silver / gold lustre over the entire cake to make the whole thing shimmer and to take the "GOLD!" edge off the cake lace elements.

The journey was fine, air-con helps, and the only breakage was one peony petal, but of course I had spares so not a major issue.  

I stacked the cake on site and added the flowers, thank god I took an electric fan with me though as it was boiling hot down by the kitchen and I'd have lost all sense without it!

Then it was champagne and laughter all the way with lots of old friends who had gathered from across Europe to be with the happy couple on their big day.   




It does make a change these days to be there when the cake is eaten.  Lots of people kept rushing up to me to say how good it was, including the kitchen staff at the hotel.  I'm told the groom said it was the best cake he'd ever tasted... naturally 😉 (Thanks lovely x)

Honestly, it was such a beautiful wedding.  We are so glad to have been there and been able to share in it.  Wishing you both many, many beautiful days in the future. xxxx 

No comments:

Post a Comment