I am a cake obsessive, based in West Sussex, UK.

I started off making cakes for family and friends before giving up a proper career in favour of playing with sugar full time. Having worked for two bakeries making their wedding and celebration cakes, I am now looking toward world domination with breaks for coffee and chat.

If you are interested in seeing future projects, enter your email address in the box on the right for updates.

To see my website go to: www.kasserina.com. You can email me on info@kasserina.com.

I also sell some sugarcraft items on Etsy. Please go to https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/KasserinaHome?ref=hdr_shop_menu

Thanks for looking!

Friday, January 10, 2014

Funky orange birthday cake - January 2014


Birthday cake for a lovely young lady, who just turned 8 and is having a party with an orange theme.

Top tier orange and raspberry, middle tier chocolate fudge, bottom tier vanilla, all with white chocolate butter cream frosting.

More photos to follow...

----


For the bottom tier I stacked thin layers of pink and orange sponge (forgot to take photo of stack before I started to crumb coat it though, doh!).  See below for a post-cutting and singing photo of the inside layers.


Middle tier was chocolate fudge cake.


Top tier was orange sponge with fresh raspberries.  


I used a white chocolate butter cream on all three tiers.  

My kitchen with cakes in various stages of setting up.


After the buttercream was set up and the fondant on all three tiers, it was time for an airbrush make-over.


I got a rather attractive false tan in the process… the cakes… me... the kitchen... the whole ground floor of my house... everything round here now has that "just spray tanned" look about it.  

Only just got rid of the red film over everything after the Halloween cake!


Once the colour had dried, I stacked the tiers.  This time I used foam core cut to size as cake boards and used a dowel through all three tiers to pin them together for the long rush hour journey.  Far less stressful that way.


Had already made flower and left it to harden for a couple of days.  The foil reminds me of the boredom when you get your hair dyed at a salon.


Used a straw as a reinforced place to put the flower.  Travelled with flower safely in a bowl, then pushed wire stem into straw when setting up at the other end.  Held it beautifully, and any cracks in the airbrushed surface are hidden once the flower is in place.


Didn't end up too badly.




The usual post cutting carnage...  sounds like the girls had lots of fun though!

No comments:

Post a comment